Sedbergh Golf Club was founded in 1896, although golf was first played in Sedbergh two decades earlier.
In 1877, Alexander Doleman, a master at Sedbergh School, introduced the game of golf to his pupils. The first course was over common land, known as 'The Riggs', which was described in a contemporary report in
The club was formed in 1896; a small pavilion was provided in the early years of the twentieth century. These primitive conditions provided social golf for scholars and local residents for close to 100 years, until the move in 1991 to the present location.